Every nail polish has pros and cons but not everyone knows the cons ahead of time. In this article we will talk about the five most popular nail polish brands (lacquers too) and provide their pros, cons and a mini-review.
1st Place – O.P.I. Nail Lacquer
The biggest hype behind O.P.I. is their massive color selection which they develop through trendy and creative collections like Nicki Minaj by OPI and SEPHORA by OPI. Their polishes are usually long lasting and bubble free with a minimal amount of chipping (after four to five days). It’s important that you clean and dry your nails before applying nail polish to ensure that your nails are oil free.
Price: $8.50 per bottle
Semi-big bottles that fit in your hand with wide circular brushes. It takes an average of three strokes or less than four to cover your entire nails.
1. 243 colors & shades to choose from
2. Themed collections like Touring America and Texas
3. Unique color names like My Address is “Hollywood” and Y’all Come Back Ya Hear?
4. Long lasting
7. Opaque and non-watery
8. Dries fast
9. Decent sized bottle
10. Large brush for easy applications
1. More expensive than some of the other nail polish brands
2. Brush is to thick for a few people
3. Solution is too thick for a few people
4. Polish dries to fast for a few people
2nd Place – China Glaze Professional Nail Lacquer
If O.P.I.’s color selection is gigantic, China Glaze’s collection is super gigantic. With 439 polishes to be exact, C.G. offers more of the interesting glittery and crackle nail polishes that other leading brands lack. Their solution is known to be a little thinner than O.P.I. and whether it’s a good or bad thing, their brushes are a bit thinner too. Everyone has their preference as some people like O.P.I. while others like China Glaze. The biggest reason for avoiding China Glaze would be their nail polish dry time, whiles the biggest reason for buying would be that they offer value for each dollar you spend (good quality for an affordable price). Gel Nail Polish
Price: $2.50 to $6.99
Upside-down version of O.P.I. with a thinner brush.
1. 439 colors & shades to choose from
2. Themed collections like Capitol Colours, The Hunger Games and Prismatic Chroma Glitters
3. Unique color names like Electrify and Ray-diant
4. Good wear time
5. Much more affordable than other high quality nail polishes
6. Can be found online for 30% to 50% off
7. Smaller brush works better for people with small to narrow nails
8. Thinner than other brands for those who do not like O.P.I.’s thick solution
9. Interesting and crazy colors
1. Takes longer to dry than other brands
2. Not as thick and opaque as other brands for those who like O.P.I.
3. Requires one or two more strokes than other brands since the brush is not as thick as O.P.I.
3rd Place – Essie Nail Polish
Essie is known for their non-funky sheer cream colored pastels which make them a favorite among students, office employees and wearers who are interested in a non-dramatic finished look. Aside from their lighter shades, they also have around 30 darker polishes ranging from reds and purples to blues and browns. Their polishes are known to be chip resistant, non-bubbly, but a little streaky when you apply the first coat.